Monday, February 16, 2009

Valentines Day

So Friday night, Mike's mom and sister picked Mike and I up from my place.
During the day I had decided that I would make Mike's mom a birthday cake since we weren't around for it. Unfortunately I hadn't taken a picture of it, I wish I had because it turned out pretty nice. I made a second cake with the left over mix and 'painted' Happy Cat onto it.



The next day I picked up Mike for breakfast and took him to my place, where I made pancakes and bacon! The pancakes were a little weird but I think it's because the batter was possibly old so didn't turn out fluffy the way it was supposed to.
I'm just glad I put chocolate chips into them to kinda help with flavour.
Then Mike and I went to Zehrs to pick up groceries for dinner!
By that point his mom and sister were done with their breakfast at church and we headed back to his place. From there we went to the mall because Mary wanted to get some stuff, which I wasn't complaining, I was enjoying being out of a house for once.

Mike and I did our own thing while they did theirs. We got ourselves an Orange Julius and a poutine from New York fries. I was happy to get more food into my stomach because earlier in the morning before I picked Mike up, I had taken two normal Advil cold medication in hopes of stopping a cold before it got me (I had an extremely sore throat when I woke up so that's a sign a cold is coming).

Usually when medication says 1 - 2 for children and adults, I take one because of my weight. Though I figured because this wasn't extra strength, I would be ok and took 2.
I felt sick and woozy for the most part of the day, but by the time we got back to Mike's place, I was all better.

So lets just skip the next part about my nervousness with making mousse from scratch and go straight to dinner. Mike made a wonderful dish that was absolutely delicious! He made two shrimp for each of us which was pan fried in garlic, lots of butter and lime juice! There might have been something else but i'm not sure. Then the pasta he simply boiled up and served with a line of pesto basil ontop. The pasta was interesting because it was white on one side and black on the other, though in the photo you see its grey because it was left in the pot a little too long. Even still it was perfect texture and tasted good! (Tasted like pasta lol)



And my mousse... it turned into Trio basically. It separated into three layers, top was foamy mousse, the middle was a dark chocolate chunky nightmare of un-melted chippits, and the bottom layer was wiggly pudding and jello hybrid of chocolate.
Needless to say I was quite disappointed in my failed efforts at dessert, I think it was because I used 1% milk instead of whole, thinking it would be ok.

Oh well, for the rest of the night we lounged on the couch and then watched The Holiday on Woman's network with his mom and sister. That was brutal because there was an hours worth of commercials, but Mary wanted to watch it and I wanted to lounge next to Mike so we all managed to finish the movie at midnight.

2 comments:

Mrs. C. Monk said...

That pasta looks amazing!!! Too bad about the mousse, but at least you tried ^_^. Sounds like you guys had fun, but we're going to have to have another pirate party so that you can come! I still can't believe that I forgot that it was Valentine's Day!

a said...

Poor moose-- err, mousse.

But it sounds like you guys had a great day. Gewd gewd. =]

Btw, <3 the new banner! The cartoony-style Crazy is so kewl. :3